Frequently Asked Questions


What is Permanent Resident Status?

Permanent residence allows a foreign national to live in Canada permanently to work, study, and access social services. Having permanent residence gives a foreign national most of the rights and privileges of a Canadian citizen. However, a permanent resident does not automatically become a Canadian citizen, but rather retains his or her original citizenship.

How do I obtain Canadian citizenship?

Canadian citizenship is obtained by birth for anyone who is born in Canada. It can also be obtained by descent by those whose parents are Canadian citizens.

Foreign nationals who wish to obtain Canadian citizenship must first apply for and obtain permanent resident status in Canada. 

Where can I apply for Federal Skilled Worker Immigration?

Submission of Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trade and Canadian Experience Class must be applied through the on-line Express Entry System and not through any Canadian mission overseas.

What benefits do I have if I am a permanent resident of Canada?

Canadian permanent residents and citizens enjoy all of the same rights and privileges with three (3) exceptions:

  1. Permanent residents cannot vote;
  2. Permanent residents cannot hold a Canadian passport; and
  3. Permanent residents can be deported for certain criminal convictions.

What is temporary resident status?

Temporary Resident status allows a foreign national to remain in Canada for a defined temporary period of time.

There are three main types of temporary residents: (1) visitors, (2) students, (3) workers. 

Once I am a permanent resident of Canada, do I have to stay in Canada?

As a permanent resident, you have to be:

physically present in Canada for at least 730 days within a five year period


outside of Canada, accompanying a Canadian citizen, who is your spouse or common-law partner or you are a child  accompanying a parent


outside of Canada, employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business


you are a accompanying spouse, common-law partner or child of a permanent resident, who is outside Canada and is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business.

Can I include my parents as dependents on my Application for Permanent Residence in Canada ?

Parents cannot be included as accompanying dependents on an Application for Permanent Residence in Canada.

You may, however, be eligible to sponsor your parents to immigrate to Canada as members of the Family Class once you are residing here as a permanent resident of this country and meet the Minimum Necessary Income requirements.

Can you tell me what documents I need to file in support of my Application for Permanent Residence before I become your client?

We are more than pleased to answer any questions that you might have with respect to documentary requirements if and when you become our client. We cannot, however, inform you as to which supporting documents are required from you before you formally retain our services.

Why do I need to use your services? Why can I not apply for Permanent Residence in Canada on my own?

We are more than happy that you can apply on your own. Very often, however,  we have consulted individuals who have applied on their own and failed.  The immigration application process may seem very easy and user friendly but any deficiency, e.g. failure to submit a document, poor reference letters, or incomplete application forms can delay the application process or in worse situations, led to a negative response from Immigration, Refugee, Citizenship Canada (IRCC).  In addition, the IRCC keeps computerized records of all applications submitted and Migration Officers are authorized to pull out previous records to help them make decisions on any future applications submitted by the same person.    

If I use your services, how quickly do you work?

The speed with which we work depends entirely upon you. If you provide us what we need in a timely fashion and follow our instruction properly, we can work quickly. If you do not give us what we need in a timely fashion or do not follow our instructions properly, preparing the application will take a longer time. 

What language should my supporting documents be in?

All supporting documents must be in English or French. If it is not in English or French, you must send it with:

  • the English or French translation and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation and
  • a certified photocopy of the original document

Some of my friends are on work permits in Canada but they do not have to work. Can you arrange this for me?

  • We do not arrange for fake employment as this will harm the client should the client be caught by Immigration Canada.

I am a Permanent Resident living outside Canada. My PR Card has expired. How can I return to Canada?

You will have to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document at the embassy in  the country which you are residing. You will have to confirm your PR status and must meet the residency obligation of a permanent resident. 

I am on a work permit. Can my spouse work?

Your spouse can apply for an Open Work Permit if you are:
• Approved to work in Canada for six months or longer; and
• Doing a job at a high skill level (NOC O, A or B level)

Can I sponsor my brother to Canada?

Relatives who can be sponsored include:

  • Spouse. The spouse is a person whom the sponsor has legally married. Canada does not recognize multiple marriages.
  • Common-law partner. A common-law partner is a person with whom the sponsor has lived together for at least one year on a continuous basis.
  • Dependent Children. A dependent child must be under the age of 22 at the time of application.
  • Parents. Sponsor’s father or mother. Sponsored parents may be accompanied by their dependent children.
  • Sponsor’s grandfather or grandmother.
  • An orphaned brother or sister, nephew or niece or grandchild may be sponsored if person is related by blood or adopted, unmarried and below the age of 18.
  • Adopted Children. A person who is under 18 whom the sponsor has adopted or intends to adopt.
  • Other Relative. When a sponsor does not have any spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, child, parent, grandparents, etc. who can be sponsored, the sponsor may sponsor any relative regardless of their age. The sponsor must not have any family members who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

Can I bring my fiancee so we can marry in Canada?

Canada does not have a Fiancé(e) Sponsorship Program at the moment.  If you want to marry your fiancé(e) in Canada, then your fiancé(e) has to apply for a Temporary Residence Visa if your fiancé(e)is not from a visa-exempt country.  Click here for a list of Exempted Countries.  

Do I have to take biometrics?

Starting July 31, 2018, you may need to give your fingerprints and photos (biometrics) when you apply for a visitor visa, study or work permit, or permanent residence if you are from Europe, Asia, the Middle East or Africa.

This is for everyone who applies for:

  • a visitor visa
  • a work or study permit (excluding U.S. nationals)
  • permanent residence, or
  • refugee or asylum status

For more information, click Facts on Biometrics.

My parent are naturalized Canadian citizens, I am Canadian by descent, can my children be given Canadian citizenship?

Every situation is different.  You may have to apply for a proof of citizenship for your child to find find out if your child is a citizen.

Can I have dual citizenship?

Canada allows you to hold two or more citizenships, so you do not have to give up your citizenship to become Canadian. However, some countries do not allow dual citizenship and will take away your citizenship if you become Canadian. You should therefore check the laws of the country that you are from to see if it allows dual citizenship.

I have scored good marks in English in university. Do I have to undergo language testing?

ALL principal applicants must now undergo CELPIP or IELTS .  The test results must be included when we file your Application.

Similarly, if claiming French language ability, all principal applicants  must now undergo the TEF. This is the only French language test that is acceptable to Citizenship and Immigration Canada officials.

What are your fees?

There are more than 60 ways to immigrate to Canada. The fees
vary depending on the complexity of your situation and the
type of immigration methods best suited to you.  

What is your success rate?

We will let you know if we don’t think your case will win.
For those client cases that we do take on, we will do our best to
ensure success.  No effort will be spared to take care of even
the smallest details of your case to make sure that everything is
done properly and proceeds expeditiously. While we can never
guarantee the success of an application, overall, we have an
excellent success rate, and the vast majority of our clients
obtain the result that they are seeking.

How can we trust that you are not going to run away with my money?

In Canada, the laws are very strict with the legal profession. 
We are required by law to hold your monies in a trust account
and the money can only be released when we have completed
performing work on your behalf.  We are regulated and like
medical doctors, we are subject to disciplinary actions
 if we fail  to abide by the rules and regulations of the regulatory
For more information on the rules and regulations governing
regulated consultants, please visit ICCRC. 


 When you hire BPS, you’re getting the highly valuable of an actual former Canadian Immigration Officer.